Wednesday 21 September 2011

Crisis Station!

I’m 41 going on 42.

Life isn’t quite where I want it.


• I haven’t worked much for 18 months and my savings are vanishing rapidly! There’s no immediate cure for this, though I think I’ve worked up some long term skills and have some involvement in things that could take off.
• I have a very limited network and am living in a small village in the Netherlands. This has made jobs and building up a network difficult. Why live in a small village in the Netherlands? Good question – my girlfriend got relocated here and I thought it was a great idea.
• Dutch is taking longer to learn than I originally anticipated.
• Girlfriend wants to get married and complains that I’m not open enough emotionally.

There’s a positive side too.

• I’m healthy
• I have a girlfriend who loves me.
• And I’m getting to grips with one of my long term bad habits – heavy drinking. I’ve had small successes in the past but I feel confident that my current approach ‘Road to Moderation’ is working well.
• In general I’m happy.
• I’m involved in a couple of things that could be big.

What to expect in the next few months.

• There’ll be some soul searching and the development of a plan for a ‘Middle Age Renaissance. I like ‘Advanced Riskology' 1% club – goals that make you excited about life.
• Health for mid-lifers
• Road to Moderation – battle against the booze to be the man who can say no and sometimes to say yes to one or two. This will be a major theme for the first four months.
• Being 40 is a start rather than an end.
• Perhaps some stuff on emotional development – have to see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment