Monday 3 October 2011

Road to Moderation - September Results

Overview

I'm happy with my progress, especially at home. Outside the home has been a little more difficult but progress has certainly been made here too. I've turned down free drinks, opted for soft drinks and water instead of a beer. These are things that I never did before.

From 3rd September

In the home.

14 days alcohol free
10 days where I had a glass of red wine (probably 175ml)
1 day where I had two glasses of wine. (note this was Sept 3rd - I decided after, to only drink one glass in the house because it's easier to record and adhere to)

This is a complete change around from how I drank before. Finishing a bottle of wine or more a night was the norm (or not drink at all). After the first couple of times, it certainly feels much more normal now to stop after one glass. It also feels a lot better the day after, I feel much fresher in the morning and more sure of myself.

The use of triggers really helped me moderate. Before, whenever I've tried to moderate, I'd forgot to think about it before I start drinking but with the triggers attached to my bottle of wine it became much easier to set a limit and stick to it.

Outside the house

10th Sept - Street Party with beer that was 'help yourself' - I'm not sure how much I drank as the Dutch use small glasses - probably about 6 pints. I was aware of my drinking and took gaps between drinks.

15th Sept - Went to an open coffee event at an exhibition. Free bar but I choosed to drink sparkling water instead - that was a first!!!


17th Sept - Food buffet with all you can drink - 4 1/2 small glasses of red wine. Had one glass at the start and then switched to soft drinks. I was introduced to the organiser of the event and had another glass. I sat with the organisers of the party and ended up drinking a couple of more glasses. This event was significant for me as I got to see first hand how alcohol affects people. It's not pretty. Most of the organisers had been drinking all night when I joined them. I got to see how alcohol slowed them down and made them look bad - great motivation to be moderate.

30th Sept - Pub night with friends from London -4 1/4 pints. I had wanted to drink three pints but expected to drink 4. The 1/4 come from a mate who had had enough. Started with a lemonade and then 3 pints in a row. Felt quite tipsy after that, so had a pint of water and then another pint. I think it's better to start with a soft drink and then alternate between beer and soft drinks.

I've found drinking out of the home a bit harder to control but this month I've definitely done some new things;

Drank water when there's a free bar.
Stop for a few hours after having a red wine.
Started with a soft drink.
Been controlled, even when drinks are 'free'.

No comments:

Post a Comment